With a total area of more than 100 hectares - which is about 250 acres - Lac de Pierre-Châtel is one of the largest privately-owned French lakes. Located in eastern France, this lake is roughly 1 km long by 1 km wide and has never been fished by carp anglers before! After one week fishing, our test team was sure about one thing: This will be an exclusive carp fishing venue with very few swims. Lac de Pierre-Châtel will be a fantastic destination for those carp anglers looking for a challenge, and it’s only on FishermanHolidays.com!
The lake Pierre Châtel was rented to a small French sport fishing club, who's members where mainly interested in pike and perch (up to 50cm!). Situated close to the Alps, the lake is exposed to extreme cold during the winter when it's frozen over. The carp are very healthy and strong due to these harsh weather conditions. In Spring & Summer the water temperature never rizes over 25°C, so the carp is always active during the hotter months of the season. Depths range between 1 and 11m, the bottom is hard with a layer of silt. There are some weedy areas where the carp love to feed.
The lake has an unknown carp stock because it's impossible to drain the lake and very few carp anglers have fished Lac de Pierre-Châtel before. Our test team caught over 30 carp in one week, most of the where between 30lb and 45lb. They had one 53lb. Obviously, the biggest carp haven't come out yet. The beauty of the commons and mirrors is remarcable! There's some silver fish, bream, no catfish, no poisson chat and no sturgeon. There is a lot of crayfish at the borders.
Pierre-Châtel has only 6 swims ... that's very few swims for a lake of 250 acres! Swim 0 is situated outside the garden of the castle and can be booked by 1 or 2 anglers. Swim 1 is situated in the garden of the castle and can only be booked by a minimum of 2 anglers in combination with the modern 4-person holiday home (2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom). The holiday home is renewed and very stylish. Swim 1 is large enough for 2-3 anglers and 4 non-fishing guests.
Swims 2-5-7-8 are double swims (but can be booked by 1 or 2 anglers) and lie in the woods, the distance between them is at least 100m and they only have boat access.
Swims 2-5 are wooden pontoons of approximately 6m x 5m. Swims 7 and 8 are dry open spots in the woods. A good boat and waders are a must! Also bring your boots. Close by swims 2 and 5 there is a wooden toilet.
The reception is just next to the castle where guests report on arrival. This is around 12 noon. This little building features good facilities with shower, toilet, washbasins, freezer and fridge. There are also sockets to charge your mobile devices and batteries. From 12 noon the bailiff organises the transfers to the swims with his boat or your own boat. Anglers vehicles are safe on the car park in the garden from the castle.
The bailiff speaks a little English and will help you with advise and questions you may have during your stay. You can reach him on the phone at any time. A bakery and supermarket are only 5 minutes from the lake.
Swim 1 is situated in the garden of the castle and can only be booked in combination with the modern 4-person holiday home (2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom). The holiday home is newly refurbished with style. Swim 1 can be booked by 1 to 4 anglers and 1 to 4 non-fishing guests could sleep in the holiday home. Everything is there, also sheets and towels.
Arrival: 12:00h -- Departure: before 10:00h
1. The angler should bring a valid booking confirmation.
2. It’s allowed to fish 24 hrs per day - catch and release
3. Boats with e-motor are a must, swims 2 - 8 are only accessible by boat. Lifevest is compulsory. Wearing waders in the boat is completely forbidden due to safety reasons. Baitboats are allowed; please respect the other anglers.
4. Swimming is allowed, please respect the other anglers.
5. Allowed rigs: Always use tubing - “carp friendly” tube rigs (safety bolt rigs), barbless hooks and hooks with micro barb (max. size 2) and nylon mainline. The hooklink may be stiff or braided, but should allways be less strong than the main line. Lead shouldn’t be heavier than 80 grams.
6. Not Allowed: carp sacs, bent hooks, braided mainline, and peanuts. Lead Core is not allowed. Rig tube is compulsory. Particles are allowed, like maïs and tigernuts.
7. 3 Rods per angler. Bivvies and tents should be brown or green.
Each angler should have a big landingnet with a min. size of 90 cm and a big unhooking mat (min. 4 cm thick, 60 cm large and 90 cm long), a big weigh sling and Klinic to desinfect the hook wounds.
8. Fishing is only allowed on the booked swims.
9. Please return the fish carefully to the water
10. Marking or steeling fish will be reported immediately to the local Police (Gendarmerie).
11. Alcohol abuse and drugs are not tolerated.
12. Please respect the nature and the tranquillity of the site. Keep clean the sanitary building and the swims. Please separate waste in the designated containers.
13. Dogs are allowed. Open fire is not allowed. Gas cookers and barbecues are allowed.
14. The owner can keep the refundable payment if you don’t respect the regulations
15. The owner and the bailiff can check the hooklinks at any time.
16. The owner is not responsible for theft, fire, injury or what so ever.
17. Each angler should sign the regulations declaring that he/she accepts them.
18. The holiday home is for up to 4 Perons. Sheets are included; please bring your own towels.
PS. In case you are caught marking fish, you will have to deal with French Justice.