100 ACRE CARP FISHING LAKE
If you are looking to catch big carp and are experienced enough to take advantage of one of best kept secrets in carping holidays, then Lac de Villedon could be the ideal venue for you. Located between Poitiers and Limoges, Villedon is around a 6.5 hour drive from Calais. At a distance of around 429 miles (691km) this is a venue for the serious carp angler, one who can appreciate the work involved in catching big carp and who are not afraid to fish larger waters. Although Villedon has a high stock level this is a large lake. It’s not an easy venue so don’t expect the fish to jump out at you, but if you get it right the results can be fantastic!
The lake is stunning with around 100 acres of water stretching for over 1.4mls (2km) and in this water swims some of the best carp you’ll ever see! There are over 900 carp with an average weight of 33lb and there are plenty of 60s and 70s to fish for – with the fish growing each year! The Dutch-owned lake is very well known in the carp fishing scene in Holland but it’s only recently that the English carper has become aware of its potential. It’s fame is spreading rapidly and it’s becoming one of the most sought-after venues so if Villedon ticks the boxes for you it’s advisable to book early!
ABOUT THE WATER
Featuring many bays and peninsulas, Villedon’s 100 acres (37 hectares) is fed by the river Blour, a constant source of fresh, aerated water. At the opposite end to the river is a large dam behind which you will find all the facilities that the venue has to offer. We’ll discuss these in depth later but they include a restaurant, sanitation facilities, a tackle shop and accommodation.
The lakebed is fairly flat and comprises mainly sand with gravel patches and a covering of silt. There are no notable snags and little weed growth. Depths varies from 2-3m at the river end to around 3-4m at the dam end although some of the bays are only 80cm deep, ideal for stalking. A maximum of 30 anglers can fish each week from 18 swims, several of which are doubles and there are even some large enough for 3 anglers. There are no crayfish, but there is chat on the lake. Please consider this when selecting your type of bait. It should be noted that most of the swims are only accessible by boat.
This is a water that houses some big fish, and they’re growing! The water is drained every two years (it’s called a vidange in France) and this enables the management to check the stock. All the smaller carp are removed and released in the Dutch Mirror Carp Project lakes. During several winters tonnes of pike, silver fish and small carp were removed to allow the main carp stock to grow. It is plain to see that this is a well-managed water where the fish are in prime condition and have been chosen for their looks and growth potential.
Villedon currently counts around 800 carp and their average is well over 35lb (15kg).
The lake record stands at 75 pounds although this is expected to be broken soon. This fish is an amazing mirror carp that is putting on the pounds month by month. Keep in mind there is poisson chat.
There are 15 swims dotted around the lake, most of which are accessed by boat (1 and 21 are accessible by car, swim 20 on foot). With a maximum of 26 anglers fishing this gives each angler approximately 3 acres of water to fish. Most of the swims are doubles but can be booked by a single angler too. There are also some treble swims and some can be booked together for larger groups. Swims 1 to 11 are on the northern bank and swims 12 to 21 on the southern bank.
1 = double (in front of the 6-person holiday home)
2 = single swim.
3 - 7 = double swims.
8 = single swim (7 and 8 can be booked for 3 anglers).
12 = single swim.
15 = double-triple swim.
17 & 18 = double swim.
19 = double-triple swim.
20 = double swim (accessible by foot). Can be booked in conjunction with 21+ cabin for 4 anglers.
21 = cabin and double swim.
Dogs are allowed at Villedon and you can use bait boats as well as the rowing/motor boats to bait up. Up to 4 rods are allowed. Unhooking mats are supplied.
FISHING AT VILLEDON
Because there's a thin layer of silt, the lead clip system works very well at Villedon. We recommend
loodclip systeem werkt perfect voor Villedon omdat de sliblaag dun is. We recommend flexible leaders of around 5 to 8 inch (15 to 20 cm) with a size 6 hook. Tungsten Tubing is highly recommended to keep everything on the bottom. A nicely balanced wafter or snowman rig works very well here.
"... we basically have the bait here that runs best on the lake (Proline boilies and fishmeal pellets 4 mm), in terms of rigs, the smaller the hook the better, we recommend hooks 6 to 10, and regular safety rigs. Attention: fixed lead systems and (leadcore) leaders are not allowed. If there are few fish in the zone, start with little ground baiting, with a few bites per day you can feed more, with a few bites per hour the more you feed the better. The fish at Villedon follow the new wind, so sometimes it is necessary to move to catch fish." Paul Deflines, Owner of Villedon
FACILITIES AND SERVICE
There are always at least 2 people available on site to help you out, both with fishing and other issues. Villedon itself has some excellent facilities.
Villedon now has a newly-opened restaurant where anglers can while away the hours chatting, having a beer or enjoying a meal. There is a full-time chef and you can even order food from your swim and have it delivered to you for a small fee. There is an extensive menu available (both an anglers menu and a restaurant menu). Reservations can be booked in advance. Both the restaurant and the tackle shop accept credit cards.
Villedon offers pick up and drop off at the airport of Limoges for 100€.
At the reception area there is a well-stocked tackle shop selling gear from companies such as Korda and Proline. An extensive range of baits is also available including boilies & pellets. This area also houses showers and toilets. Cold drinks are available for purchase as is fresh bread which can be ordered for collection. A freezer is available for bait storage (max 30kg per angler). You can also hire boats and electric motors from here. There are charging points for electrical equipment available. The shop also sells a range of toiletries, clothing, milk etc.
No need to bring your unhooking mats, they are provided at Villedon for free.
An extensive array of fishing equipment is available to rent along with boats, electric motors etc. Rental prices: Boat, 50€ pw; electric motor, 50€ pw. Swims are allocated one boat each (no motor) and unhooking mats are provided, one for each angler. Extra boats and/or motors should be booked prior to arrival and payment is in Euros upon arrival. Bait boats are allowed but there are none available to rent. Extra batteries are also for rent for 10€ per week.
For those arriving on friday afternoon, you can camp outside the venue if you arrive before 19:00h (please inform us if you're arriving on Friday). You can have dinner or a drink in the restaurant.
There is a small supermarket in Mézières-sur-Issoire, 10 km from the lake. Hies is also a bakery and butcher. The Intermarché is about 20 min from Villedon in Bellac.
Fun activities near Limoges
- Visit Oradour-sur-Glane: Just a short drive from Limoges, Oradour-sur-Glane is a preserved village that serves as a memorial to the atrocities of World War II. Although it's a somber experience, exploring the abandoned village and its museum provides a powerful and educational insight into history.
- Explore the Monts de Blond: The Monts de Blond is a picturesque natural area located northeast of Limoges. Here, you can enjoy hiking and walking trails that lead you through beautiful countryside, dense forests, and charming villages. It's a perfect spot for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Discover the Village of Mortemart: Mortemart is one of the most beautiful villages in France, located about 40 kilometers southwest of Limoges. Stroll through its narrow streets, admire the well-preserved medieval architecture, and visit the historic church. The village also hosts regular markets and cultural events.
- Take a Boat Ride on Vassivière Lake: Vassivière Lake, situated approximately 70 kilometers northeast of Limoges, offers a scenic setting for a day of fun. Rent a boat or join a guided tour to explore the lake's crystal-clear waters, visit the surrounding islands, and enjoy various water sports activities like kayaking, paddleboarding, or fishing.
- Visit the Porcelain Factories: Limoges is renowned for its fine porcelain production. Take a tour of one of the local porcelain factories, such as the Bernardaud or Haviland factories, and witness the craftsmanship involved in creating these delicate pieces. You can learn about the history of Limoges porcelain and even try your hand at painting your own piece.
From Saturday to Saturday
anglers: 390 Euros/week, 1 boat included on double swims, 2 boats included on triple swims.
non-fishing guests: 50 Euros/week
Cabin (maximum 2 persons) = 1100€
6 pers holiday-home (max 2 anglers) = 1400€
There's an additional cleaning fee: 35€ for the cabin and 75€ for the gîte.
electro motor: 50 Euros/week
Extra boat rental: 25€ per week or 5€ per day (subject to availability)
Shower coins: 2,50€ for 8 minutes of warm shower
The 6-person Villeon Holiday Home There is a gite adjacent to swim 1 and anglers can fish up to 6 rods from their own private pontoon. There is no further fishing from the dam and other gite guests must book and pay for additional swims. The fully e...
The Cabin Adjacent to swim 21 is Briggsy’s Cabin, completely refurbished. Named after renowned big fish angler Steve Briggs, this little hideaway overlooks one of the most popular haunts for the bigger fish. There are 2 single beds and a basic kitch...
- The Lake: Villedon
- Departement: Vienne (86)
- Open: From Mid February until November
- Distance to lake: Calais - Villedon: 685 km Le Havre - Villedon: 514 km
- Surface: 37 ha // 100 acres
- Bottom: Sandy and Gravel bottom covered with silt. No obstacles.
- Depth: 1-4 meter
- Max. Anglers: 26
- Stocking: 800 carp between 10-34 kg (75lb)
- Weed formation: hardly any
- Access: Most of the swims only have boat access.
- Price per Angler: 390€ (Mar-Oct), boat included (winter prices: 270€ (Nov-Feb))
- Price per non-Angler: 50 € per week
- WIFI: Yes
- Lake Exclusive: from 8500€ (max. 24 pers) // +50€ per non fishing guest
- All inclusive: 800€ per person