"It was a wonderful week we had by the lake. even though, we did not catch that many fish, it was an experience. The only negative parts about this place, is the bailiff and the facilities. The Bailiff spoke only French and not other languages, making it difficult to communicate (had to use google translate on mobile for this). The facilities are not that good. There is only one real toilet and bath, and not 3 as described on the page. one toilet had been closed and no longer in used. The second was a shed, with a hole in the ground for use, When nature called. Depending on which swim, you are on, there is about 1 km to a real toilet. so using a bike to get around is a good idea, that we used a lot. Bikes can be borrowed on the premises, but they are very small."
Like many carp fishing lakes in France, Lac du Grand Fontenay is an old gravel pit with a total area of 22 hectares, which is about 55 acres. The depths vary between 3 and 5,5 meters. The venue hold a fish stock af around 1000 carp and the current lake record is 28kg (62lb). Two swims feature a mobile home and two other swims have a small chalet for 1 angler. There are 14 swims provided with electricity. In the middle of the venue there's an interesting peninsula with 4 great swims. The bailiff lives on the property and is available at all times.
The lake has 17 comfortable swims with good access. There's a large variaty of swims so here's a little overview:
Swim 1: This is a single swim and for maximum 2 non-fishing guests. There's no electricity on this swim
Swims 2 & 3: They feature a mobile home and is for 2 anglers and 2 non-fishing guests
Swim 4: single swim. Electricity on the swim (included in the price)
Swims 5-6-7-8-9: singles; no electricity on these swims.
Swim 10: single swim with electricity (included in the price)
Swim 11: single swim without electricity.
Swim 12 & 13: both are double swims with electricity (included in the price) on each swim.
Swim 14: double swim, no electricity
Swim 15: single swim, with electricity included in the price
Swims 16 & 17: single swims; they feature a chalet with bed and are provided with electricity (included in the price)
After you have unloaded you park your vehicle near the reception for swim 15-16-17-1-2-3, or near swim 5 for swim 4-5-6-7, or at the entrace of the penisula for swim 8-9-10-11-12-13-14.
There's a large fish stock with around 50 carp per hectare which are about 1200 fish in total.The management have done their homework as there's a stunning variety with not only commons and mirrors; there are also fully scales, linear carp, koi, leather & grassies. Every fish has a micro chip and at your arrival you'll receive a chip-reader to identify every fish you land. This way the lake has a perfect view on weight increase, unwanted deseases, etc. There is also some sturgeon, catfish up to 75kg, pike & silver fish. The deeper spots can be found in front of swim 15, very recomendable for those who'd like to target catfish & sturgeon.
The facilities & WC are located behind swim 3, and next to the reception another sanitary building will be put in place soon. The mobile homes have their own WC & shower.
There's a small tackle shop on site, and you can rent bikes for 4€ per day. (mobile homes have 2 bikes included in the price)
On swim 2+3 there are comfortable bungalows with 2 bedrooms each. In one bedroom there is a double bed, in the other room there is a bunkbed. Undersheet and blanket are delivered, but nevertheless we would advise you to bring your own quilts. The kitchen is provided with ceramic hot plates, microwave, watercooker, coffeemaker, fridge and everything you need to make food. There is a living with a table and chairs, a settee and a TV. In the bathroom you find a washbasin, a bath and a WC. Everything is there for a pleasant stay.
1. The angler should bring a valid booking confirmation.
2. It’s allowed to fish 24 hrs per day - catch and release
3. Boats are not allowed, but it is allowed to use baitboats.
4. Swimming and wading is forbidden.
5. Allowed rigs: Always use tubing - “carp friendly” tube rigs (safety bolt rigs), barbless hooks and nylon mainline.
6. Not Allowed: carp sacs, bent hooks, braided mainline and braided hooklink. Only cooked particles are allowed.
7. 4 Rods per angler. Bivvies and tents should be brown or green.
Each angler should have a large landingnet with a min. size of 90 cm and a big unhooking mat (min. 4 cm thick, 60 cm large and 90 cm long), a big weigh sling and Klinic to desinfect the hook wounds.
8. Fishing is only allowed on the booked swims.
9. Please return the fish carefully to the water
10. Marking or steeling fish will be reported immediately to the local Police (Gendarmerie).
11. Alcohol abuse and drugs are not tolerated.
12. Please respect the nature and the tranquillity of the site. Keep clean the sanitary building and the swims. Please separate waste in the designated containers.
13. Dogs are allowed on leash. Open fire is not allowed. Gas cookers and barbecues are allowed.
14. The owner can keep the refundable payment if you don’t respect the regulations
15. The owner and the bailiff can check the hooklinks at any time.
16. The owner is not responsible for theft, fire, injury or what so ever.
17. Each angler should sign the regulations declaring that he/she accepts them.
18. Arrival: after 12.00 am. Departure: before 12.00 am.
PS. In case you are caught marking fish, you will have to deal with French Justice.