Situated roughly a one hour drive from the port of Le Havre, Lac de Grosley lies in the valley of the river Risle in Normandy. However if you prefer to travel to Calais the lake is only 177 miles (285 km) which is an easy three hour drive. The nearest town is Beaumont-le-Roger which, although not very large, does have all the facilities you could require during your stay. The town of Rouen is the nearest major town and this is around a one hour drive away.
There are two lakes on the site which are fringed with deciduous woodland, with majestic oaks and tall poplars, and open fields and both are easily accessible. The lake is a holiday venue that is be enjoyed by all, and the management has succeeded with many anglers returning for what can only be described as an easy to fish venue with excellent facilities.
There are two lakes available to anglers, both of which are fringed by woodland and fields. The lakes are bordered by lily beds, fringed with reeds and with overhanging trees creating holding areas for the fish. The first lake is around 29 acres (12 ha) and features a central island, a real holding spot for the carp. The second lake is smaller at around 9.8 acres (4 ha). Both are fully accessible via a gravel path which runs around the perimeter of the lakes. The whole complex is very secure and is locked at night.
Most of the swims are accessible by car (where you can leave it during your stay) and there are several wooden gazebo-style shelters around the lake depending on which swims are chosen.
Bait boats can be used and are also available for rent at 15€ per day.
The lakes have hard, gravel bottoms and are both around 2-2,5 meters deep. There are no weed problems and the fishing can be considered as being relatively easy with multiple catches commonplace.
Grosley also has the advantage of having a bar/restaurant for anglers. This is open nearly all year and offers meals during the day. There is also a small tackle shop selling general items such as hooks, bait (particles and boilies), leads etc.
There are a good variety of swims to choose from at Grosley with a maximum of 20 anglers fishing at any one time. The swims are spread over the two lakes, with only two available on the small lake, giving anglers plenty of space to fish, and, unlike many lakes with hard, gravel swims cut into the banks, the swims at Grosley are natural and grassy. They are spacious and there is parking right behind most of the swims (all except 13). Swims 2, 15, 18 and 19 are single swims with all the rest capable of being fished by two anglers. Swim 10 and 21 can be booked by 3 anglers. Several swims have a table and a small wooden chalet/gazebo-style building which can be used to store your gear or to cook in (with your own equipment). These are quite capable of taking a bedchair and many anglers sleep in them. They are available on swims 7, 10, 13, 17, 21 and 23.
The fishing at Lac de Grosley can be fast and furious. The stock in the lakes consists of a mix of mirrors and fully-scaled mirror carp with some lovely commons. There is a good mix of fish, all incredibly well-coloured, ranging from around 20lb (9.8kg, the natural, original stocking) to around 61lb (27,5kg). The average is around 24lb (12.2kg) and there are around 300 carp stocked in total. The small lake is the one to go for if you are an out-and-out runs angler as its stock of fish is higher for its area than the larger lake. Carp of over 44lb (20kg) are regularly caught in the small lake. There are a few crayfish in the lakes but not enough to cause anglers problems and there are no poisson chat. In the winter from 2016 80 commons between 25 and 35 lbs were introduced in the big lake.
There is also a toilet/shower block for the use of anglers which also contains a fridge, freezer and microwave oven. Electricity is available for charging equipment. Fresh bread can be ordered on a daily basis and there is also a small tackle shop selling bait (particles and boilies) and general fishing items such as hooks, leads etc. Baitboats can be hired at 15€ per day.
280 Euros/Week (Sat - Sat)
150 Euro/Weekend (Sat-Tue)
180 Euro/Midweek (Tue-Sat)
- Non-fishing guests: 50€ per week
“Carp Fishing at Lac De Grosley in Normandy (by Neil Denton)
Having never fished in France before both me and my son-in law (Ade) booked a week’s fishing with Fishermans Holidays which was arranged with Thomas from their main office the support and help given to go was 1st class and very informative with lots of advice.
On getting to Grosley we were greeted by Eric and his wife who made us very welcome with a complementary cup of tea.
We were then shown around our swims and give some tips on how to fish. Although we were tired from the travel from Cornwall via Dover we very quickly got set up and fishing with four rods each and I soon had a bend in my rods with a nice fish 28.5lbs.
We had set ourselves a target of one fish a day and this was blown away with some fantastic results with 67 Carp between us in total, 6x 30+ (35.10lbs) biggest by Ade. 45 x 20lbs plus and I (Neil) caught a lake record Sturgeon of 19.12lbs
A big thanks goes to the help from Howard at Nutrabaits in selecting the bait for the trip nearly all the catches came from Trigger and Salmon-Caviar and Black pepper Boilies. The time spent at the bait centre was well worth all the time prior to our trip.
Eric and his wife also provided excellent food throughout the week and the need to take your own food is not required, the site facilities are excellent.
As you can see we had a fantastic time and would recommend this experience to any one reading this we are definitely looking forward to going back again in May next year, I have some great photographs that got better the end of the week.”
Rules “Lac de Grosley”
1. The angler should bring a valid booking confirmation.
2. It’s allowed to fish 24 hrs per day - catch and release
3. Boats are not allowed, but it is allowed to use baitboats, you can rent them on the site for € 8 per day.
4. Swimming and wading is forbidden.
5. Allowed rigs: Always use tubing - “carp friendly” tube rigs (safety bolt rigs), barbless hooks and hooks with micro barb (max. size 2) and nylon mainline. The hooklink may be stiff or braided, but should allways be less strong than the main line. Lead shouldn’t be heavier than 80 grams.
6. Not Allowed: carp sacs, bent hooks, braided mainline, tigernuts and peanuts. Only particles purchased at Lac de Grosley are allowed. Lead Core is not allowed. Rig tube is compulsory.
7. 3 Rods per angler. Bivvies and tents should be brown or green.
Each angler should have a big landingnet with a min. size of 90 cm and a big unhooking mat (min. 4 cm thick, 60 cm large and 90 cm long), a big weigh sling and Klinic to desinfect the hook wounds.
8. Fishing is only allowed on the booked swims.
9. Please return the fish carefully to the water
10. Marking or steeling fish will be reported immediately to the local Police (Gendarmerie).
11. Alcohol abuse and drugs are not tolerated.
12. Please respect the nature and the tranquillity of the site. Keep clean the sanitary building and the swims. Please separate waste in the designated containers.
13. Dogs are allowed. Open fire is not allowed. Gas cookers and barbecues are allowed.
14. The owner can keep the refundable payment if you don’t respect the regulations
15. Arrival before 12.00 h. Departure before 10.00 h.
16. The owner and the bailiff can check the hooklinks at any time.
17. The owner is not responsible for theft, fire, injury or what so ever.
18. Each angler should sign the regulations declaring that he/she accepts them.
PS. In case you are caught marking fish, you will have to deal with French Justice.